HomeNavigatorGuillemotNutshellCradle BoatNewtMotorbikesLinksContact me



1. View of stringer clamped for gluing.  My philosophy on gluing has been to apply liberal epoxy to joints which will be out of view, whilst taking care with those that will be visible.

2. Another stringer clamping shot, using a combination of tie-downs, G-Clamps and no-name QuickGrip clamps.  On the whole I didn't find fitting the stringers difficult to this point.

3. The top stringer proved more difficult than earlier ones due to its double width.  After some attempts I decided to use a laminated approach ie. glue a 20x20mm stringer and then add another on top.  This photo is of the first one going on.  I used a combination of G clamps and quick clamps to hold the front in place.  The small G clamps (at right) with a strap holding them together are to assist with the wtisting required to sit properly in the stringer notch.

4. I did the glue in two parts, initially the front to the stem and the next two bulkheads and then, as this picture shows the remaing bulkheads.  Obviously you must clamp the whole stringer when doing the initial section to ensure an overall fair curve is achieved.  As it is now winter in Sydney I have had some problems with glue not going off properly.  I've now started using the West Fast Hardener which is designed for cooler temperatures.  I also created a 'tent' over the front section and placed a fan heater in it to aid the process; this worked well for that first small section.

5. And to finish the second layer of the top (gunwhale) stringer.  The process of doing it in two passes seems to have worked OK - certainly the bending, holding and genral man-handling is a lot easier than with a single 40mm stringer.  I would expect the strength to be similar,  As usual the more clamps the better for this.