HomeNavigatorGuillemotNutshellCradle BoatNewtMotorbikesLinksContact me


I made all of my spars from solid Oregon (Douglas Fir), with the exception of the main mast which uses the birdsmouth technique.  All spars started out as dressed timber, squared to the maximum diameter.  I then used an electric plane to put a taper into then by clamping them next to a straight edge at the correct angle and planing away all the material which was proud of the straight edge - it worked but wasn't perfect.


1. Once I had a tapered 'square' spar I used the home-made marker above to mark the planing boundary to assist in turning the square spar into an octagonal spar, again using a free hand electric planer.


 2. As you can see the result is a reasonable eight sided spar which is then attacked with a block plane to turn it into a round spar - somewhat time consuming but altogether quite enjoyable.

3. Usng a block plane the eight sided spar is worked to 16 sides and then to a round shape....

4. Once the block plane has done its work I then used 40 grit paper on a belt sander to finish the shaping, followed by 80 then 120 grit to smooth it off.

5. Four of the 8 staves, for the main mast,  after having had the V cut in them using the Triton saw table with the bevel attachment.  Worked well - the feathering board helps a lot to ensure that the stave remains correctly positioned as it passes through the saw.

6. Gluing up the staves - this proved awkward and required assistance - I used 4" drainage pipe with jubilee clips in order to clamp the whole thing together.  From here it's a case of shapinh them as for solid spars.

7.  Finally its time to varnish them.  I used Deks Olje - here they are following the application of the first coat.